Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What is the greatest misconception that you think someone might have about women who are incarcerated?

That we are hopeless and bad people, especially the mothers who are in jail or prison.
It is hard for people to understand we are just as susceptible to addiction and misfortune as men. So there for we are looked down upon and judged worse for the same things.
-age 46

That I do not love or care about my children and that I was a bad, neglectful mother. If a female inmate is married, the public might think that she doesn't care about your husband either. That women are violent. For example, I was locked up with a lady whose husband started beating her when he discovered crack. When she reached out to the police and social service organizations they advised her to take him to mental health. Eventually, his addiction became worst and he became more violent. One evening, it took a turn for the worst and she was charged with a violent crime in the midst of her self-defense. -age 35


That they are bad people. –age 45

I feel the public thinks we are still the same as we were when we committed our crime or crime(s). There are so many barriers that an ex-offender faces every day of there lives and there are days and moments when everything can so hard and frustrating. I am learning that as long as you remain positive in prayer and true to yourself you can succeed in all you do. I know that saying this is easier then living it everyday. However, we all have our own struggles, but it can be even more difficult for an ex-offender. Time can heal and change people. – age36

I feel the biggest misconception is that women who have spent time being incarcerated will continue to make bad choices. I am living proof that women do change, no matter what. Today I have choices. –age 32

Women are not supposed to make mistakes, and put themselves in situations that would cause them to go to jail. –age 47

No comments: